Friday, September 01, 2006

Big Weekend

So we begin a long holiday weekend. The sky is overcast at this hour. The flag is unfurled outside our front door.

* * * * *

My sister and her husband are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this weekend, and we are going to join in the festivities down in Southern California. It's going to be a lot of fun, visiting folks we haven't seen in a while.

* * * * *

One of my favorite actors passed away a few days ago. Glenn Ford. I remember him best as the FBI agent John Ripley in the Blake Edwards movie "Experiment in Terror" (1962), who helped a terrorized bank teller played by the beautiful Lee Remick. The story is set in a San Francisco that I can relate to, a lovely city that existed at about the time that I first arrived here in California.

Another great movie of his was, of course, "Blackboard Jungle" (1955), where he played school teacher Richard Dadier ("Yeah, I've been beaten up, but I'm not beaten. I'm not beaten, and I'm not quittin'.")

* * * * *

No comments: