Monday, December 08, 2008

Ol' Man River - Soviet Style

I had never heard of Muslim Magomaev until today, when I discovered this while browsing YouTube for a good version (other than Paul Robeson's) of Jerome Kern's "Ol' Man River". He's a Soviet era singer who was very popular in his time. He passed away on October 25, 2008 at age 66.

obituary

In this song, though some purists might find the tempo slow, and the accent a bit off-putting, Magomaev gives it his all, doing wonders with his remarkable voice.

Take a listen.




"Old Man River"

Composer: Jerome Kern
Poem:Oscar Hammerstein

Let me go 'way from de Mississippi,
let me go 'way from the white men boss.
Show me dat stream called de river Jordan.
Dat's de ol' stream dat I long to cross.


Ol' man river,
dat ol' man river.
He must know sumpin'
but don't say nothin'.
He jus' keeps rollin',
he keeps on rollin'
along.


He don't plant 'taters,
he don't plant cotton.
And dem dat plants 'em
is soon forgotten.
But Ol' man river,
he jus' keeps rollin'
along.


You an' me, we sweat an' strain,
body all achin' an' racked wid pain.
"Tote dat barge!" "Lift dat bale",
git a little drunk an' you land in jail.


Ah gits weary
an' sick of tryin'.
Ah'm tired of livin'
an skeered of dyin'...
But Ol' man river,
he jus' keeps rollin'
along.

No comments: