Sunday, March 22, 2009

I Was Just Thinking

As I sat reading the Sunday paper (oh yes, I still subscribe to our local rag) the thought came to me -- what made this country what it is, is the melding of the immigrant experience with the pioneer spirit (which may in themselves be two sides of the same coin). To be fair, others may have considered this observation with much greater acuity and depth, and written scholarly theses about it, than I can proffer in a short paragraph. But the simple unvarnished fact that the thought came to me (to use yet another cliche) like a bolt out of the blue on this bright cold March day is a matter of some encouragement, for it confirms that those little gray cells between my ears are still working.

* * *

We are nowadays so dependent on the Internet that not having a connection for a couple of days (as had just happened when a car, or something, hit and damaged the cable box across the street from our house) gives us a feeling of isolation from the rest of the world.

Oh sure, we still have the phone and TV, but dammit, it ain't the same thing! No email. That's what really hurts.

_

No comments: