Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscars

The 78th Academy Awards ceremony is over, and I'm very glad that "Crash" won for Best Picture, and not the hot favorite "Brokeback Mountain".  I thought Jon Stewart did a fair-to-middling job as the host of the show, though to my mind, there are few people who can do it with the panache of a Billy Crystal.

I'm also happy that "Wallace and Gromit – The Curse of the Werewolf" won in the animation category.  I always enjoyed the Aardvark productions, starting with their very first efforts.

But for me the best news at the event was the award for Best Documentary to "The March of the Penguins".  If you have not yet seen this delightful film, created under the most difficult of conditions, about the annual migration of the Emperor Penguins to their very hostile mating grounds in Antarctica, I would simply say to you that you must see it.  It's not just for kids, though they will be the ones who will enjoy it the most.  Their parents and grandparents will love it as well.

My wife is not a great one for watching nature documentaries, but I think that with "Penguins" getting an Oscar, I can persuade her to see it now.  I'd be quite willing to see it again with her.

No comments: