Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Respite

After a week of some of the hottest temperatures ever experienced in the Bay Area, there are signs this morning that the blessed fog is coming back to cool things down.

There's much to be done to get ready for our next trip, which begins Friday. Packing is for me the least agreeable part of travel. My track record in this regard is far from exemplary — I have left out stuff that I shouldn't, while including items that never leave the suitcase. I've tried making lists — they don't help much. One suggested solution is to unpack, and then repack, but that's not a foolproof remedy.

This will be our granddaughters' first visit to Europe, and they are really excited about it. The older one starts college this fall. She may not be traveling very much once classes begin.

My sister and her family are vacationing in France. They have been trading residences for the last several years with French families, and they really enjoy that kind of vacation. Were my wife and I a little bit younger, we might be willing to try it as well.

* * * * *

The home video I made of our cruise to Alaska with my wife's schoolmates has now reached most of them. They've been kind enough to email us with compliments. The editing part was difficult, if only because there were so many scenes that had to be left on the 'cutting room floor' that I had wanted to retain.

But there is just so much your viewers can absorb without being bored. Nice scenery is pleasant to watch, especially when accompanied by suitable music, but for the final version to be worth watching, heavy trimming is always the best solution. Amateur filmmakers like myself can often get carried away with including too many pretty scenes one after the other.

Thankfully, the charming subjects of this video effort, and the valuable help I got from every one of them, kept up the level of interest and so made the project a success.

* * * * *
Today is my brother's birthday. He is in Texas babysitting his grandchildren while his physician daughter and her husband attend a conference.




No comments: