Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bacalhau

The regular readers of my blog know that I make no claim to being a gourmet chef. I do however cook occasionally, especially when there is a party at our house, and there are a few things that I can make that turn out well. (Heck, why not say it? Not just well. In fact, quite delicious.)

One such dish is bacalhau guisado, which is salt cod stewed in a tomato sauce with onions, garlic, and exotic spices. Over the years I have made this dish specially for large parties, and each time it seems to turn out a little different, and (may I be so daring as to say it) even more delicious.

As I write this, the aroma of the dish cooking pervades our house, bringing back comforting memories of childhood and a time of uneasy peace just before the Second World War.

Strange, isn't it, how certain smells can induce a touch of nostalgia?



No comments: