Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Anniversary

It's been five years almost to the day that I have posted tidbits on this blog. Starting out as "The Daily Muse", perhaps an overly optimistic name, it morphed subsequently into its current form as "The Occasional Muse."

Tried to keep my entries as mostly original ones, but I have resorted to linking to other blogs or websites when appropriate, and quoted the works of others as well. More recently the links have been to musical pieces which are now so abundant on YouTube, and which are often so charmingly performed by little known individuals or groups. Providing the pleasure of a musical interlude now and then, when I can't seem to offer up any original words or images.

Photos of the places to which we have traveled have made their appearance, either in the blog itself, or linked to a photo-hosting site. Some early photos were lost when one such site shut down. Maybe one day I'll repost them. Maybe.

The subject of this stream of reminiscences is of course Time, as stated in the masthead. For those of us who watch calendars and clocks (and this means everybody), Time becomes ever shorter with age. (References to this sad fact appear frequently in this blog, don't you know?)

Projects that had been set for myself, as outlined in some of the earlier postings, have yet to be completed. There are many reels of old movies, scores of video-cassettes, hundreds, perhaps thousands, of old photos, that await digitizing and converting to DVD. A catalog of all my oil paintings will have to be prepared if one day I am to have a retrospective exhibition (I'm not even sure the names of the people who bought my early work are still known).

My camera collection has also to be catalogued and appraised. A big task. And the biggest of all is my library. There are books all over our house, including in the garage. Many of these need to be boxed and given away.

There would, should, could be Time to do all that stuff. Maybe next month. Or next year.

The warm weather has given way in these parts to a balmy Fall. The leaves are beginning to turn.

And seven years ago tomorrow, on just such a day as this, America was attacked by Islamic religious fanatics. We will not forget. Never forget.

No comments: