Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Bookstore Cafe

The café at our local bookstore has maybe a dozen tables, and on a Sunday afternoon, most of them are occupied.  The denizens are mostly young people with laptops or PDAs, and they sit there for hours, nursing paper coffee cups from which the lattes have long been drained.  Many look like college students, and they have several books laid out on the tables as they do their typing or writing.  Several have the shaven heads that are so much in vogue these days. One has an iPod with earbuds stuck in his ears.

The decorations on the walls are large posters of famous books ("Death of a Salesman", "Catch 22", "Tell It On The Mountain"). Above the coffee bar is a painted frieze with images of famous writers ranging from Joyce to Tolstoy.

2 comments:

Clo said...

I don;t know where you are writing from, but I lived in SF for 5 years and I was a student...and I miss so much the hours spent at the coffee houses! You captured so well the atmosphere...in my days (10 yrs ago) ther ewere less laptps and more books at hand, but the spirit was the same...there sis something incrediibly intimate and magical about these coffehouses, I did not find it anywhere else in the world.

Georgius said...

Greetings, Clo. Yes, I am in the Bay Area (San Mateo), and your nostalgia for San Francisco rings so true. There's no place quite like it.