Friday, November 25, 2005

Day after Thanksgiving

Actually, I don't much like turkey, though everyone else at table at our house yesterday loves it.  Out of the goodness of her heart, my wife made a ham also.  I did have some  token slices of the turkey, just to show my appreciation.  Along with the meat, we had baked yams with marshmallows, chestnut stuffing baked separately from the bird itself, cranberry sauce, vegetables, and to round things off, three pumpkin pies. There was also ice cream for those who wanted some. There were eight of us at Thanksgiving dinner.  

The rain held off till late, and then gave our garden a good soaking overnight.  A wet carpet of birch leaves greeted me this morning as I went outside to fetch the paper.  

Here is where I go off on a tangent to rant about our newspaper.  It's getting thinner and thinner every day, and nothing but the most outrageously liberal diatribe and editorials show up in it.  Someone on the radio said the other day that most major newspapers in this country are losing their readership because of the internet and television.  The San Francisco Chronicle leads the pack by a country mile in this decline.

But as a longtime subscriber I am not going to cancel just yet, though the day may soon come.

No comments: