Friday, November 18, 2005

Carpe Diem

There are some days when everything seems to go right.  Today happens to be one of those days.

I awoke at 6:00AM, earlier than usual.  Did my three-mile exercise walk in weather that was just glorious even for this magnificent climate.  The Japanese maple provided a touch of brilliant color to our front yard. The oatmeal I made for breakfast in the microwave oven was of the exact consistency to suit my taste.

The FM radio I use on my walks was tuned to our local public radio station.  The morning program's host was interviewing Chuck Close, whose art I have admired over the years, and whose 80-plus self portraits are currently on exhibit at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.  Also at SFMOMA are sculptures and other works by Kiki Smith.  We plan to visit the museum after Thanksgiving.

Unusual for me, I accompanied my dear wife to the shopping mall. Once inside she went her way and I went mine.  Unusual for her, she met me back at the car only eight minutes later than the agreed meeting time, which was probably a record.  I bought a Christmas present for a close friend who recently had eye surgery.  It's a bit early for Christmas shopping, I know, but the gift is exactly the kind of thing he would appreciate.

My wife had prepared a dinner of boeuf bourguignon in a new slow cooker she recently bought.  After six hours of cooking the beef was of a sublime degree of tenderness. It was accompanied by linguini al dente.

And tomorrow we get to see our granddaughters again.

A perfect day, and likely a perfect weekend to look forward to.

No comments: